Plans to build an out-of-town retail park have been given the green light.
WM Morrison’s application to build six non-food shops on the former Mirlees Blackstone factory in Uffington Road, Stamford, next to Morrisons supermarket, was approved by South Kesteven District Council’s development control committee yesterday (Tuesday).
Eleven councillors voted for a motion to approve the plans, with four voting against.
Morrisons has not confirmed which brands would fill the new shops, but says up to 45 jobs could be created.
Stamford Chamber of Trade and Commerce objected to the retail park and a representative spoke at the meeting.
The chamber has been fighting the scheme since 2006, saying it would hit town centre trade.
A separate application to build a pub restaurant on the site has been submitted by Morrisons.
- Man who went missing from Kendrew Barracks in Cottesmore found safe
- Falling masonry causes part of High Street, Stamford, to be taped off
- Arrest after robbery at Uppingham newsagent
- Doctor talks about rescue of woman with hand stuck in drain cover in Bourne
- Whitefriars Care Home in Stamford charged over death of widow, 84
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Stamford
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west