Work starts on retirement complex in Stamford

An artists impression of how the McCarthy and Stone retirement complex in Barnack Road, Stamford, will look EMN-150922-112947001

An artists impression of how the McCarthy and Stone retirement complex in Barnack Road, Stamford, will look EMN-150922-112947001

0
Have your say

The name of a new retirement living development in Stamford has been revealed as work gets underway.

Developer McCarthy and Stone is working on the development in Barnack Road, which has been named Stukeley Court in recognition of the antiquarian the Rev William Stukeley.

McCarthy and Stone worked in partnership with Stamford Civic Society, which installed a Blue Plaque in Barn Hill to mark where Stukeley once lived, to select the name which has been confirmed by South Kesteven District Council.

Stukeley undertook what is now recognised as the first high quality archaeology in Britain and was Vicar of All Saints’ Church in Stamford in 1730.

McCarthy and Stone has also revealed an artist’s impression to show how the site will look when it is completed.

Work has already started on the development, which will comprise 35 one and two-bedroom apartments. The first apartments will go on sale in November with the first homeowners expected to move in next summer.

Regional sales and marketing director at McCarthy and Stone East Midlands Cheryl Bissett, said: “It is important our developments have a name that in some way links back to the heritage of the local area. We chose the Civic Society’s suggestion as a fitting way to remember a historic figure who so greatly cherished archaeology.

“The new development will provide much needed purpose-built accommodation for those aged over 60.”

Call 0800 201 4811.