Couple from Stamford thank fire service after blaze damages house and garden

Rob Harding standing next to the burnt decking and exteriors of a house in Vine Street in Stamford that was damaged by fire on Saturday
Rob Harding standing next to the burnt decking and exteriors of a house in Vine Street in Stamford that was damaged by fire on Saturday
0
Have your say

A NEWLY married couple returned from a family visit to find a fire had damaged their house and garden.

Rob and Perinne Harding, both 23, of Vine Street, Stamford, returned from a weekend in Lincoln to discover a window had been blown out of their home, a fence, decking and garden furniture had been destroyed and pipes and guttering had melted.

The fire started at about 3.20pm on Saturday. Firefighters said it could have been caused by a cigarette being thrown over the fence.

Perinne said: “We are very blessed, it could have been a lot worse.

Rob, who works as a clerk at Oakham Post Office, added: “We are very fortunate the fire didn’t go inside. We have only been here for such a short time.

“We have just started to make the place feel homely and now it smells of smoke.”

The couple, who married on July 14, have lived in their rented home for a month.

The fire was spotted by neighbours who called 999.

Perinne, a young persons’ health advisor, said: “Apparently three of our neighbours called 999 so we are very grateful to them and we are going to go and thank them.

“The fire service were excellent – they really did a great job.”

Firefighters put out the blaze before any significant damage was caused to the house and boarded up the 
window.