Couple say they are lucky to be alive after kitchen fire in Oakham

Photo: SM110712-002ow'Fire at Waltham House, Glen Drive, Oakham. Emma Baum and Jamie North in their kitchen where the fire started.
Photo: SM110712-002ow'Fire at Waltham House, Glen Drive, Oakham. Emma Baum and Jamie North in their kitchen where the fire started.
0
Have your say

A COUPLE say they are lucky to be alive after they awoke to find their kitchen on fire.

Jamie North and Emma Baum were in their flat in Waltham House, Glen Drive, Oakham along with 15-month-old daughter Poppy when they were heard a banging noise at 11.30pm on Tuesday.

Jamie thought they had left a door open but when they checked they were shocked to find their toaster, fridge freezer and kitchen units were on fire.

Emma, 26 quickly used a washing up bowl to throw water over the flames and put them out.

She said: “As soon as the flames were out, Jamie ran into to get Poppy from her room and we got out of the flat.

“We got our neighbours to evacuate too, and I called 999 and two fire engines and an ambulance were here very quickly.”

The couple and young Poppy were lucky to only suffer from minor smoke inhalation from the blaze but were left very shaken.

Describing the drama, Emma said: “I just froze and couldn’t believe it. I was in total shock.

“I was shouting ‘get water, get water’.

“I managed to get to the washing up bowl and just throw that over it which luckily put it out.

“We’re all lucky to be alive because we’re quite heavy sleepers and our smoke alarm didn’t go off.

“I know you’re not supposed to throw water onto electricals but I just did what I thought was right and the fire brigade said I did a really good job in putting it out.”

Jamie, 32, said: “I was just so shocked and froze when I saw the flames everywhere.

“I then went to look for towels and before I knew it, Emma had thrown the water over it and put it out.

“She was a hero.”

He added: “I’ve just been made redundant from my job and we don’t have insurance

Continued: Page 3