Casterton Business and Enterprise College closed because of electrical fault

0
Have your say

School pupils have been sent home because of an electrical fault which caused fire services to be called.

School pupils have been sent home because of an electrical fault

Pupils at Casterton Business and Enterprise College in Ryhall Road, Great Casterton, were told to return home at about 10am today (Friday) because of safety concerns following an electrical fault at the school.

Wires overheated in the main school building causing smoke to set off the fire alarms.

Fire crews were automatically called to the scene.

Principal Victoria Crosher said: “I took the decision to send the pupils home as a precaution. We probably would have been alright to continue with our day but we always want to put the pupil’s safety first.

“We started to evacuate the children at about 10am and the last pupil had left the school by 11am.”

“The kids were all out of the school before any smoke was seen.

“We are expecting it will be business as usual on Monday providing the electricians can do the work in time.”

If the school does have to close on Monday it will send out messages on its website and in the local press, like it does when there is snow.