AN ELDERLY couple escaped unhurt after a fire ripped through the roof of their home.
Bill Harris heard an explosion just after 7am on Sunday as he was heading for the kitchen to make a cup of tea for his wife Marie, 81.
Mr Harris, 84, looked in the loft of the bungalow in Millstone Lane, Barnack, and saw what he described as a ball of fire.
The couple quickly escaped before part of the roof collapsed.
Their son Tim said: “It’s devastating for them.
“It’s just unbelievable, it all happened so quickly. I was called in the morning and you just can’t believe it until you see it.
“We’re going to go into the home and see if we can salvage whatever we can from it.
“The bedroom wasn’t badly damaged, but a lot of the roof has collapsed into the home.”
Mr Harris, a retired quantity surveyor, called the fire service from the garden of their burning home and firefighters were soon on the scene.
Nick Foster, group manager at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “When firefighters arrived, the flames were going through the roof of the building.
“There has been significant damage to the bungalow.
“Nearly all the roof has been destroyed by fire.”
Mr Harris was treated by paramedics for shock but did not require hospital treatment.
He and his wife were being looked after by neighbours in the aftermath of the blaze.
Tim added: “The neighbours have been fantastic.
“Both of my parents were checked over by paramedics at the scene, but they are fine.”
The cause of the fire has not been confirmed but investigators think an electrical fault may have sparked the blaze.