‘Faulty tumble dryer’ sparks blaze at the Mad Turk

Fire at the Mad Turk, St Paul's Street, Stamford 'Photo: MSMP151014-007js

Fire at the Mad Turk, St Paul's Street, Stamford 'Photo: MSMP151014-007js

0
Have your say

Firefighters attended the scene of a blaze at a popular restaurant in Stamford on Wednesday.

Three fire crews tackled the blaze at The Mad Turk restaurant on St Paul’s Street, Stamford.

Crews from Stamford, Market Deeping and Grantham attended the fire that was reported just after 4pm.

The fire broke out on the first floor of the building - which was being used as an office and storage space.

Firefighters used one hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.

Upstairs has been affected by severe smoke damage and minor fire damage.

The restaurant was left undamaged but the building had to be closed for business on Wednesday night.

Customers who had booked tables for that evening were phoned as soon as possible to be told about the closure of the restaurant.

The building was thankfully unoccupied at the time of the fire and no one was injured.

Owner of The Mad Turk, Ertunch Kazim said that the fire was started by a “faulty tumble dryer” which was stored upstairs.

He said: “We weren’t there at the time of the fire, there’s lots of bad fire damage upstairs but luckily it hasn’t affected the restaurant.

“It’s a bit of excitement for Stamford on a Wednesday evening.”

St Paul’s Street was closed by police during the fire, but has since been re-opened.

The restaurant, which is the number one restaurant on website Trip Advisor based on customer reviews, was due to reopen for business last 
night.