Fears cats in Stamford have been poisoned with antifreeze

Hayley Biggs and Kay Jackson, right, believed their cats died as a result of antifreeze poisoning Photo: SM210911-017ow
Hayley Biggs and Kay Jackson, right, believed their cats died as a result of antifreeze poisoning Photo: SM210911-017ow
0
Have your say

TWO families are devastated by the death of their pets which they believe were poisoned by antifreeze.

The owners fear someone could be targeting cats in the Melbourne Road area of Stamford although the RSPCA has warned that most poisoning cases are accidental.

The two animals both fell ill over the weekend and had to be put to sleep after suffering serious kidney failure.

It is the second time Kay Jackson has lost an animal to poisoning since moving to Melbourne Road six months ago.

Her first cat Gizmo died in April after being poisoned. Her other cat Daisy fell ill on Friday last week and died a day later.

Kay, 41, said: “It’s like they were drunk. Daisy was being sick and foaming at the mouth, then he started having fits and was screaming in pain. It was just awful.

“If someone is doing this deliberately, they are evil and sadistic and can’t be allowed to get away with it.”

Another cat, Rosie, died on Sunday after suffering similar symptoms.

Her owners Judy and Steve Biggs were away on holiday but Rosie was being looked after by their daughter Hayley and a neighbour.

Hayley, of Berkeley Court, Stamford, said: “Rosie wasn’t eating and was stumbling about feeling sorry for herself but I left her overnight. I didn’t think she had been poisoned or I would have taken her straight to the vet.”

Rosie was taken to Burghley Veterinary Centre on Saturday where she stayed overnight but was put to sleep on Sunday morning. The bill for her treatment was £314.

Hayley, 31, said: “I am devastated and feel so guilty for not taking her to the vet sooner.

“If someone did this deliberately, they need to be stopped.

“How could someone be so cruel to do this to an animal?”

The incidents were reported to police and have been referred to the RSPCA.

An RSPCA spokesman said: “Many of us are not aware of just how toxic antifreeze is so it’s really important that we all take care when using, storing and disposing of it.

“It could save an animal from an incredibly painful death.”

The chemical ethylene glycol is thought to have a sweet taste which makes it appealing to cats, but it causes fatal kidney problems.

Marc Moggridge, the owner of Burghley Veterinary Centre, has urged pet owners to be vigilant and seek help immediately.

He said: “There really is no time to waste. Occasionally if an animal is treated early enough it will survive, but the majority of cases will be fatal.”

Anyone with information about the deaths can contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999 or police on 0300 111 0300 quoting incident 146 of September 19.