FIREFIGHTERS were called to an opticians in Stamford town centre after smoke set off the fire alarm.
Crews from Stamford, Market Deeping and Bourne were called at lunchtime on Wednesday and found smoke escaping from the fascia at the front of Scrivens in Ironmonger Street.
Firefighters dealt with the smoke after ripping up the sign to find the source. They said the smoke was caused by heat damage to an electrical transformer.
Staff from Scrivens and Hegarty LLP Solicitors on the floor above were allowed back into their businesses at about 3pm.
Scrivens manager Barbara Wolfe said: “We remained calm but evacuated straight away as our fire exit is the door at the front of the shop.”