Stamford Hospital redevelopment plans are still on the table despite delay, says trust chief

0
Have your say

The chief of the trust controlling Stamford Hospital has moved to reassure councillors and residents that his organisation does not want to close the facility.

Interim chief executive of the Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals Trust Dr Peter Reading spoke at a Stamford Town Council meeting yesterday (Tuesday).

Dr Reading told councillors that plans to spend £3.8m redeveloping the hospital were still on the table, despite a delay in presenting the business case to the board of directors while a review into the trust’s finances is carried out.

He said: “We are looking at how we can take a hospital that has been neglected, invest in it in a wise way and in a way that can be sustained.

“I believe we have a way that is affordable and increases the number of patients going there.”

The trust revealed plans to redevelop 40 per cent of the hospital site and sell or lease the remaining 60 per cent in September.

Since then a business case has been drawn up containing three options. These are to go ahead with the redevelopment presented last year, do the minimum required to keep Stamford hospital just as it is or sell the site and close the hospital altogether.

The case was due to be presented to the trust’s board of directors yesterday, with the redevelopment identified as the preferred option.

But this was deferred while a major review into the trust’s finances is carried out by watchdog Monitor. The trust is facing a deficit of £40m as it tries to pay for Peterborough City Hospital.

Dr Reading apologised for the delay but said a decision on Stamford Hospital could not be taken until the review was complete.

He added that it made economic sense to redevelop the hospital and said: “We want to find the best long-term solution for Stamford Hospital so that it doesn’t suffer death by 1,000 cuts.”