An annual coffee morning in its 29th year raised almost £4,000 for a cancer charity.
Dr Michael McGregor and his wife Margaret held the event at Bourne Corn Exchange yesterday (Thursday) to raise money for the Spalding and Bourne branch of Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research Fund.
The couple, from Maple Gardens, Bourne, began organising the coffee mornings in 1983 following the death of their son, John. The event began st in their own home before moving to bigger venues as support for the event grew.
This year’s turnout was slightly down on the year before but Dr McGregor was still pleased with the total raised.
He said: “It went very well and we were agreeably surprised.
“People have been very generous and made donations as well as buying things from the stalls.”
Dr McGregor thanked all those who helped on the day and donated and made items to sell.
He added: “It is not just a morning’s work. People have been beavering away for months.
“We had about 60 helpers on the day which is amazing.
“It’s well worth doing.”
- Man who went missing from Kendrew Barracks in Cottesmore found safe
- Arrest after robbery at Uppingham newsagent
- Doctor talks about rescue of woman with hand stuck in drain cover in Bourne
- Whitefriars Care Home in Stamford charged over death of widow, 84
- Falling masonry causes part of High Street, Stamford, to be taped off
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Stamford
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west