DCSIMG

Burghley Horse Trials 2013 winner disqualified

Jonathan

Jonathan "Jock" Paget riding Clifton Promise to victory on the showjumping at Burghley Horse Trials 2013. Photo by Trevor Meeks.

The winner of last year’s Burghley Horse Trials has been stripped of his title after his horse tested positive for a banned sedative.

Jock Paget was officially disqualified on Wednesday, following a partial decision by the FEI tribunal, which regulates equestrian events.

A FEI statement said that Paget had accepted that the “banned substance had been found in the horse and requested that the FEI tribual rule separately on the automatic disqualification from Burghley”.

All the points and prize-money from Clifton Promise’s Burghley win now must be forfeited.

The full hearing of the Clifton Promise case is now scheduled for June 3, after which a final decision will be issued by the FEI tribunal.

As a result of Jock’s disqualification Andrew Nicholson and Avebury have now been promoted and are the Burghley 2013 winners.

Andrew told Horse and Hound magazine he was “pleased that the right decision had been made”.

The change in result means that Avebury is the first horse to have achieved consecutive Burghley victories.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page