Two school friends are busy raising hundreds of pounds to fund an expedition to Ghana where they will do valuable work at an orphanage.
Georgia Harris, 15, and Jemima Feely, 14, hope to head out to the West African country in March with a group of 23 fellow pupils from Catmose College in Oakham.
The girls need to raise £1,400 each to pay for the trip, during which they will spend 10 days helping out at a small rural orphanage.
They are already half way to their target after several fundraising events and will be holding a cheese and wine evening on Thursday to try and reach their target.
Georgia, from Oakham, said: “We are almost there but we still need to get that last bit.
“We will be helping them finish building the orphanage and improving sanitation.
“We wanted to do something to help. They showed us a video at school of how little they have and how much we could help.”
The girls admit they are nervous about the trip. But Georgia added: “I am excited as well to be able to help them and learn their culture.”
Thursday’s cheese and wine evening takes place in Nene Crescent, Oakham.
Gifts have been donated by Baubles and Bangles, SAPS, Creme, Rutland Coffee House, The Elephant Room and Sally Holmes.
For full details e-mail Georgia at 09GeorgiaHarris@catmosecollege.com.
- Police issue appeal after man goes missing from Kendrew Barracks in Cottesmore
- Doctor talks about rescue of woman with hand stuck in drain cover in Bourne
- Woman trapped hand in drain cover searching for marble
- Video: Teacher Patsy shaves her head for charity
- Tony Robinson and Time Team uncover horseshoe at Oakham Castle
- Stamford takeaway Zorba 4 loses appeal over alcohol licence
- Duo thanked by the council for cleaning up
- Police Column: Burglars steal £5,000 and other items in raid
- Claire Lomas trains for challenge at Rutland Water
- Interest is high as Stamford’s Riverside Antiques Centre exhibits Princess Margaret Collection
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Stamford
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North