DCSIMG

Thanks to firefighters who saved woman’s life in Corby Glen

Fire damage to a home in Station Road, Corby Glen. Photo: MSMP040814-002am EMN-140408-143813001

Fire damage to a home in Station Road, Corby Glen. Photo: MSMP040814-002am EMN-140408-143813001

Parents have thanked the firefighters who saved their daughter and her friends from a blaze sparked by a tumble dryer.

Rosie Spilberg, 22, was asleep in her family home in Station Road, Corby Glen, when a dryer in the utility room caught fire at about 4am on Saturday.

Rosie and four friends who were staying at the house were woken up by the fire alarm. But the fire had already taken hold and some of them were trapped upstairs.

The flames were spreading and smoke was filling the house. One of the group called the fire brigade but thankfully the Corby Glen Fire and Rescue Co-responders, based nearby, had also heard the alarm and raced to the scene.

They were soon joined by fire crews from Corby Glen, Bourne, Grantham and Billingborough. Those who hadn’t managed to escape the house, including Rosie, were rescued by the firefighters in the nick of time.

Rosie’s father, mother, brother and sister, who also live at the house, were on a camping holiday in Devon when the fire started. They rushed back as soon as they heard what had happened.

Rosie was too shaken to speak to the Mercury, but mother Elly Spilberg said: “The fire service have been utterly heroic and we are very grateful to them. They were absolutely amazing. This just goes to show how important it is for people to turn off their electrical appliances at night because it’s a reminder of how bad things can be.”

Father Andrew Shilcock added said: “The firemen got here just in time, from the sounds of it. Rosie was the last one out. It was very hot and smoky in her room.

“The first responders said it was the worst fire they have seen in Corby Glen.”

Thankfully Rosie and her friends were unhurt, save for smoke inhalation. But without the quick response of the fire crews, things could have been much worse.

Mr Shilcock, a television engineer, said: “Rose knows she is lucky to have got out.”

Mr Shilcock, his wife and their two other children Ralph, 16, and Florence, 11, are staying elsewhere in the village while smoke and flood damage to the rest of their house is repaired. They are full of gratitude to the firefighters who saved Rosie and her friends.

Mr Shilcock said: “We had put some money behind the bar for the local lads. And it’s all we can do to stop every fireman we see.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page