A gated travellers’ site set up without permission will be dismantled after the plot was described as a flood risk by planners.
But the site, at Nine Bridges, Mile Drove in Glinton, will not have to be closed for another six months to allow the family who moved their caravans onto the plot to find another location.
Glinton ward councillor John Holdich said he was frustrated it would take so long to move the caravans on.
He said: “We were told the caravans moved onto the site six weeks ago, and since then myself and Cllr Peter Hiller have been working hard to get the process in motion.
“It is frustrating for our constituents, who don’t realise there is such a long process to go through.
“They say that if they built a home on land without permission, the authority would be on them like a ton of bricks.
“The site they have chosen is unsuitable. There are no facilities, such as electricity or sewerage, and it is near land used by children to play in in the summer.
“It may be their land, but it is unsuitable.
“It is very frustrating it takes so long to clear them, but that is the process.”
The travellers have until November 4 to appeal against the enforcement action by the city council over the unauthorised development then six months to move, or face a fine.
Nick Harding, group manager for development planning for Peterborough City Council, said: “This case highlights that people should not undertake developments without first obtaining planning permission as otherwise they are risking having enforcement action taken against them.
“The planning system is in place to protect the wider public interest and stop inappropriate developments from taking place and I hope this case study acts as a lesson.
“Unauthorised develop-ments such as this will not be tolerated and can receive a fine of up to £20,000 if there is no appeal and the notice is not complied with.
“If you have a development proposal, the city council has a pre-application service and we would be happy to guide you through the planning process.”