Man appears in court over explosion at MP Nick Boles’ office in Bourne

A 24-year-old man appeared in court today (Wednesday) charged with criminal damage with intent to endanger life following an explosion at the Conservative Party office in Bourne.

Paul Leversedge will appear at Grantham Magistrates’ Court today (Wednesday) in connection with the blast at the Grantham and Stamford Conservative Club in Bourne, Lincolnshire, which happened on Monday morning.

The boarded-up window at the Conservative offices in North Street, Bourne, where the explosion happened on Monday'Photo: MSMP100613-005js

The boarded-up window at the Conservative offices in North Street, Bourne, where the explosion happened on Monday'Photo: MSMP100613-005js

Leversedge, of Marquess Court, Bourne, was remanded in custody and will appear at Lincoln Crown Court on Wednesday, June 26. He did not enter a plea.

Police were called to the incident at the Grantham and Stamford Conservative Club in North Street, at about 1.20am.

North Street was closed from Abbey Road and West Street to St Gilbert’s Road but reopened just before 2pm.

Mr Boles (Con) said he knew very few details about the incident.

The boarded-up window at the Conservative offices in North Street, Bourne, where the explosion happened on Monday'Photo: MSMP100613-005js

The boarded-up window at the Conservative offices in North Street, Bourne, where the explosion happened on Monday'Photo: MSMP100613-005js

He added: “Obviously I deplore any act of violence. The police are investigating the incident and everyone should do everything they can to help with this investigation.

“We will continue to do our jobs as normal.”

Scenes of crime officers and a bomb disposal team from RAF Wittering were at the club yesterday morning to recover evidence as part of routine procedure.

Caroline Glithero, who lives in North Street near to the Conservative Club, said she and her husband were woken by “two loud bangs”, the first at 12.30am and the second at about 1.15am.

She added “There were two very loud bangs but it didn’t sound like a car crash or anything like that. We went outside after the second explosion and there were people outside looking to see what happened and scorch marks on our driveway.

“It was a bit of a commotion and it has been all morning with the road being cordoned off. We’ve had RAF bomb disposal teams and TV cameras everywhere.”

Reader Darren Pullen posted on our Facebook page: “I heard two explosions, about 10-15 minutes apart.

“I had a quick look for any smoke/fire but couldn’t see anything, so I thought they were just fireworks being let off. I don’t live too far away from Burghley Street.”

Police said there was no structural damage to the building but a window had been broken.

A spokesman said early indications suggested the incident was not linked to any wider issues or recent events in the county.