Sunday marks 100 years since the Titanic sank in the North Atlantic.
The Mercury first reported the tragedy on April 19. It said the biggest ocean liner in the world sank after hitting an iceberg.
The Mercury reported how the survivors had been picked up by the cruise liner Carpathia and the country was in mourning.
On April 26, 1912, the Mercury carried a more detailed account of the disaster.
The report said: “After striking the iceberg the Titanic remained above the water for about two and a half hours, and every facility was given for the escape of women and children.
“Some of the women however refused to leave their husbands and, it is said, were reluctant to quit a ship which they believed to be unsinkable.
“Mr Bruce Ismay, giving evidence on Friday before the Committee of the United States Senate, which has been appointed to investigate the accident, said that at no time of the voyage was the Titanic put at full speed.”
The article said the White Star Company had said 1,635 people had died and the 705 survivors included; 202 first class passengers; 115 second class passengers; 178 third class passengers; 206 crew; four officers. Eighty five survivors were still in hospital.
The death toll for the disaster is now recorded as being 1,517.
See this Friday’s paper for the full story on how the Mercury reported on the disaster 100 years ago.