THE funeral service for Georgina (Georgie) Roythorne, took place at Langham Parish Church, followed by cremation at Grantham Crematorium. Georgie died at Rutland Village Care Home.
Born at Winterborne, Berkshire, on December 30, 1927, she moved with her family in 1936 to Cliddesden, Hampshire and attended the local school until the age of 14.
On leaving school Georgie entered domestic service, and it was at this time that she began her life-long association with the Girl Guide movement. At the age of 17 she left domestic service to work on the land, eventually joining a Norfolk firm which provided a relief milking service for farmers temporarily short of staff or needing a well-earned holiday.
The new job took Georgie all over the country on her chosen transport of the day, a 125cc Francis Barnett motorbike. In 1956 her job brought her to Rutland, where she met Stanley Roythorne, whom she married in September, 1957.
She lived with Stanley at Langham and later Barleythorpe until his death in 1989. Although Georgie had a full-time job as a Cordon Bleu cook and housekeeper, she still found time for the guides.
In the 50s and 60s she ran the brownies and guides at Langham. She, along with her brownies and guides, raised money for various charities and in 1970 the Girl Guide diamond jubilee year they were able to buy two guide dogs for the blind, named Diamond and Jubilee.
In 1977 Georgie was appointed district commissioner for the Girl Guide district of Oakham, which included Langham and Whissendine. She held the appointment for 10 years and during this time, oversaw the completion of Oakham guide hall.
After finishing her term as commissioner, she was for many years secretary of the Friends of Guiding and always remained a stalwart of the local Trefoil Guild.
Georgie also continued to raise money for the Guide hall and other charities, through organised whist drives, raffles, tombola, walks and other activities.
She carried on with her fundraising until two year’s ago. A modest person, Georgie expected no reward or favours for her work with the local community and for charity. However, her efforts were recognised in 2005, when she received the chairman’s award of merit from Rutland County Council. Many believe she deserved more.
Georgie was an exceptional lady, a character of the like you probably would not see again.
She was constantly full of energy and drive and always seemed able to infect others with her enthusiasm. She was a great asset to the local community.
Georgie was dearly loved by her family and friends alike, and will be sorely missed by many.
Mourners included: John and Linda Stroud, Ethel Driver, Andrew Stroud, Graeme Stroud, Ewen and Patricia Nicholson, Mahayla Nicholson, Ben Clayton, Adrian Hammond, Martin Hammond, France McIatchie, Felecity McIatchie, Lady Kimbal, Alan Roythorne, Bill and Lindsey Smith, David Gibson, Carol Gibson, Dr Tim and Mrs Gray, Joyce Hill and daughter, Helen Alexander, Richard and Pam Gilbert, Susie Rollo Palm, S Howes, F Hill, Pauline O’Leary, Eveline Grace, D Creesy, Margaret Stapleford, Rosemary Routen, Christine Woodcock, Mollie Delaney, Ray Lewis, Grania Peace, Margaret Towl, Jean Parkes, Val Page, Ann Edmonds, Nina Abbott, Edith Abram, Eileen Baker, Lilian Rawlings, Pauline Leeder, May Sampson, Kath Hill, Sue Seckington, Roland and Jean Brown, Roger and Carol Hale, Norma, John and Edna Little, Doreen Bateman, Liz and Simon (Rutland Care Village), Gwen Mulligan and family, P Burdett, Sue Burdett, Ruth Burdett, Mick Burdett, Jo Burdett, Amy Burdett, Graeme and Alison Cook, Mary Crump, Patsy Reid, Bill and Nancy Brand, P Clapperton, David Baxter, Susanna Davies, Rita and B Johnson, Linda Gibson, Jill Smith, Rosemary Monton.