Plans for dozens of new homes in Bourne are turned down

0
Have your say

TWO major housing development plans have been turned down by councillors.

The applications for 46 homes in Hall Gardens devellopment off South Road and another for 20 homes off Beaufort Drive were turned down at South Kesteven District Council’s development control committee meeting on Tuesday afternoon.

Plans for South Road submitted by Linden Homes, formerly Stamford Homes, had been recommended for approval by planners as part of the second phase of a residential development on the site. The plans also included junction improvements.

Bourne town councillor Trevor Holmes spoke out against the plans at the meeting.

Afterwards, he said: “We don’t need any more housing in the town.

“Also, the proposed development is planned for a particularly dangerous place despite any planned alterations with the bends on the road.”

District councillors refused the proposal, but a spokesman said he could not give their reasons until the minutes were published.

The developer plans to appeal against the decision. Linden Homes technical director Barry Maynard said the proposals were for a natural extension of the scheme.

He said: “Naturally we are very disappointed with the outcome, particularly as the members went against the officers’ recommendation for approval.

“This goes against Government guidelines surrounding the development of sustainable brownfield sites. We will be appealing against the decision in due course.”

Planning permission was granted for the first phase of the development for 46 homes on the eastern side of the site in 2008.

Another planning application by the same developer, to build five homes instead of four within the first phase of the development, was approved.

The Wherry Trust also had its proposals for 20 new homes and 40 allotments planned for land off Beaufort Drive stopped in their tracks.

Planning officers had recommended that councillors refuse the plans, which include six affordable homes. They said it would be of no benefit to the town because there is already a large amount of housing planned for Bourne, in particular on the Elsea Park estate.

Resident Brian Kendall, 74, of Willow Drive, Bourne, lives next to the land where The Wherry Trust’s proposals are planned for.

He has spoken out against the plans, and has said he is delighted with the committee’s decision.

No one from the trust was available for comment at the time of going to press.