RAF Wittering confirms 24 redundancies

0
Have your say

DEFENCE cuts will result in 24 redundancies at RAF Wittering.

The base confirmed the news yesterday (Tuesday). Those affected came from all areas of Wittering’s operations and included airmen and women and officers.

Of the 24, 19 had applied for redundancy.

Base spokesman, Sqd Ld (Ret’d) Tony Walsh said: “It should not come as a shock to those who are affected. Everyone whose role was in the bracket at risk had been well briefed about the position they were in.”

The announcement came at the same time as 2,900 soldiers, 170 sailors and 730 RAF personnel are handed redundancy. The Ministry of Defence could not confirm whether any Army personnel based at the new Kendrew Barracks at Cottesmore or St George’s Barracks in North Luffenham were among those affected by the cuts.

This is the second round of job cuts with RAF Wittering and the former RAF Cottesmore, now the Kendrew Barracks, having shared 18 redundancies in September.

The Government has said the RAF will not have to bear any more job losses but the Army faces further cuts.