A PUB has lost its outdoor music licence after complaints from residents.
The Millstone Inn in All Saints Street, Stamford, was told by members of South Kesteven District Council’s alcohol and entertainment licensing committee that it could no longer play outdoor music.
The environmental protection team had asked the committee, which met on Friday last week, to review the licence after it received seven complaints and the committee agreed the music was “loud and intrusive” and caused a “public nuisance”.
Manager of the pub Dave Young said he and landlord Richard Wycherley were disappointed with the decision. The pair had called for support and Mr Young said they had been backed by a large number of customers
They are now considering applying to extend the indoor licence on Fridays and Saturdays in order to “build up the trust” before reapplying for the outdoor music licence next summer.
The licence had allowed outdoor music to be played Thursday to Saturday between May and October.
Mr Young said it had proved popular with customers.
He added: “We are going to make do with the indoor licence for now and we will still be hosting indoor events.
“We did get a lot of support and we feel the events we hold are not only beneficial for us as a venue but beneficial for people in the town because we offer something different.
“We feel if we can prove we are trustworthy and work with the residents on the indoor licence then maybe we will have another chance to reapply for the outdoor one in the summer.”
He said it was unlikely they would appeal the decision because the committee had been “firm with the decision”, which was made after the environmental protection team launched an investigation.
Letters were sent to Mr Wycherley asking him to address the noise issue and when the environmental protection team continued to receive complaints, it installed a sound level meter. The recordings indicated there was a “noise nuisance” and said the music was heavy bass and loud.
Complainants, who live near the pub, gave evidence at the meeting saying when events were taking place at the pub, they made arrangements to go out. One resident said his house was triple glazed and had sound proofing, but the heavy base was “unacceptable”.
The committee decided against a noise limiter because Mr Wycherley had not discussed how it could be implemented with the environment protection team. The committee also said limiting the number of events would not put an end to the problem.
During the meeting Mr Wycherley apologised for the stress he had caused residents and said he had not been aware of how distressing the noise level had been. He said he had not worked with the environmental protection team to address the issues because he had tried to do it himself.
He was not available to speak to the Mercury after the meeting.