Ranksborough Hall in Langham evacuated after fire

Firefighters at the scene of a fire at Ranksborough Hall in Langham. Photo: Lionel Heap

Firefighters at the scene of a fire at Ranksborough Hall in Langham. Photo: Lionel Heap

0
Have your say

RESIDENTS had to be evacuated after a historic building caught fire today (Thursday).

The fire broke out at Ranksborough Hall in Langham at about 1pm.

The three storey property, which was built in 1893 and is being converted into flats and residents were asked to leave their homes while the fire service tackled the blaze.

Warren Elliott, 33, who has lived in the hall for 10 years, said: “A maintenance technician alerted me to the fire. The minute I opened my front door I could smell smoke and when I went outside I could see flames leaping out the roof where the fire service had removed tiles to get to the source.

“The firefighters were very efficient. I dread to think what could have happened if they hadn’t been there to deal with the fire so quickly.

“I’ve been allowed back into the property now but the whole house still smells of smoke and my electrics have been cut off.”

A couple who were on holiday at the hall were also evacuated from the building.

Four fire crews from Melton and Oakham fire station attended the scene tackled the blaze, which was located in the roof of the ground floor toilets.