TWO women were shocked when they discovered two needles on a town centre doorstep.
Shelly Arden, 38, and Zoe Metcalfe, 32, saw the syringes on a doorstep next to sandwich shop Subway, in High Street, Stamford, while they were out shopping on Monday morning.
The pair informed staff and police immediately and could not believe what they had seen.
Shelly, who lives in Anne Road, Stamford, said: “We were just shocked and disgusted when we saw them lying there.
“It’s really not something you expect to see on the street, especially in Stamford.”
Zoe, of Irnham Road, Stamford, added: “If they were used for drugs you never know what could be caught off them - Aids, hepatitis or something else.
“It’s just wrong when you know parents and children walk down there.”
A member of staff at Subway also called police about the syringes.
Owner Bob Moodliar said: “A member of staff called the police and they came pretty quickly and took the needles away.
“I was not aware of the problem but when I was informed I was very surprised indeed.
“The doorstep leads to flats above the shop and it’s really something we don’t want outside our shop.”
It cannot be confirmed whether the needles were used for drugs, but police removed and destroyed them as a matter of public safety.
Police are urging people if they see any needs to get in touch so they can be collected and destroyed as soon as possible.
To report a sighting call police on 101.