Trapped man rescued by firefighters during blaze at shop in Oakham

Boarded up windows at Zorba 5 kebab shop, Mill Street, Oakham, following a fire at the premises.'Photo: MSMP171212-006ow
Boarded up windows at Zorba 5 kebab shop, Mill Street, Oakham, following a fire at the premises.'Photo: MSMP171212-006ow
0
Have your say

A man had to be rescued by firefighters after a blaze in the shop below his flat.

Emergency services were called to the incident at Zorba 5 Kebab House, in Mill Street, Oakham, at 4.17am today (Monday).

Firefighters managed to rescue the man from the flat using a ladder. He was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

The blaze is believed to have started accidentally due to a faulty electrical appliance.

The fire is now out but the shop has been boarded up and remains closed.

Cooking equipment that was damaged during the blaze is in the archway next to the shop.

Jan Burrows, a volunteer from Oxfam, which is next the shop in Mill Street, said: “I arrived for work earlier today and was shocked to see the shop boarded up and the burnt kitchen items outside.

“I’m just glad it didn’t spread to our store.”