A FIRST floor flat was damaged in a fire on Saturday night.
Four fire crews were called to the flat in Churchfield Close, Deeping St James, at about 9.50pm.
Neighbours described a scene of “commotion” as the alarm was raised in the flats nearby, by residents banging on the doors and windows to wake sleeping people.
A man from a neighbouring flat, who suffers from asthma and was affected by the smoke, was treated by two ambulance crews at the scene.
The flat where the fire started was severely damaged in the fire.
The flat above, on the second floor was damaged by smoke and the flat below was water damaged.
The fire service said it was caused by a cigarette.
Residents in the affected rented properties have been forced to find temporary alternative accommodation.