CRICKET: Bourne hold champions to a draw

Robbie Gow Kleinschmidt bowling for Bourne against Bracebridge Heath
Robbie Gow Kleinschmidt bowling for Bourne against Bracebridge Heath
Have your say

BOURNE held last year’s Lincolnshire Premier League champions, Bracebridge Heath, to a draw at the Abbey Lawn on Saturday.

The home side had been hoping to take revenge for their defeat in the final of the Winkworth Cup just five days earlier but after making 238-8 Bracebridge left with a winning draw.

In reply Bourne finished on 210 with two wickets remaining.

Bracebridge got off to an mixed start. Nick John went for just one run but fellow opener Hymie Bentley hit a rapid 67 off 81 balls before he was caught by Tom Bentley of the bowling of Xanti Xipu.

Brett Houston added 47 as he Bentley established a partnership of 92 and, Stuart Fraser-Cattanach 32 and Jason Trembath with an unbeaten 32 pushed the score along for the visitors.

Robbie Gow Kleinschmidt and Ben Stroud both claimed three wickets for Bourne.

Opening batsman Stroud then thumped a quick 36 which included four fours and two sixes before he fell to the bowling of Mark Fell.

Conrad Louth, who has shown cracking form this season made 33, skipper Pete Morgan 29, and Bourne legend David Christmas made 35 off 35 balls. But top scorer was Jack Berry who hit five fours and a six in an unbeaten 48 off 50 balls as he chased Bracebridge’s target.

MARKET Deeping’s match at Louth was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch but elsewhere Woodhall Spa closed the gap on Skegness to one point at the top of the table following victory over Grimsby.

The leading sides both suffered a scare as Boston failed by just one wicket to beat the seasiders and Grimsby took the first five Woodhall wickets for less than 60 runs.

Saeed Bariwala took six wickets as Boston were held to 177 for seven off their 50 overs. With Skegness at 165 for nine, the Mayflower team had hopes of a first victory of the season but Adrian Gordon ensured he retained the strike, hitting 10 off the next over and then sneaking a quick single before hitting the winning runs.

A couple of lusty sixes from Lee Charlton saw Grimsby past the 150 mark before the final wicket fell in the 47th over at Augusta Street.

Woodhall then found runs hard to come by and when rain stopped play for half an hour, the second-placed side were in danger of suffering their first defeat. But first Jack Luffman (35) then Dan Milgate (34) dug in, before Matt Sergeant with an unbeaten 26 saw his team to a three wicket victory.

Haxey stay in touch in fourth, nine behind Bracebridge, after adding to the woes of bottom side Hartholme.

Oliver Tonks made 73 of Haxey’s total of 170 all out then Chinthaka Perera claimed five wickets for 14 as the Lincoln side were bowled out for 81.

At St Giles Avenue, Sleaford scored a convincing win over Lindum, Oliver Burford making the day’s only century. The Sleaford skipper hit 115, putting on 130 for the seventh wicket with Alex Sears who made 52.

This helped Sleaford to the highest total of the day of 260 for eight and Sears then completed a man of the match performance with a haul of six wickets as Lindum were bowled out 118.