Daniels boss blames formation for 4-0 thumping

Have your say

Daniels boss Wayne Hatswell blamed his attacking set-up for Stamford’s 4-0 loss at Belper Town on Saturday afternoon.

Stamford’s six-match unbeaten run came of the rails at the home of their play-off rivals where they were three goals down by half-time.

Hatswell said: “With the formation I set up, I wanted to attack. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but perhaps we should gone for a draw.

“We had been doing ever so well of late but on Saturday we were punished.

“I said to the lads afterwards that we have been on a great run and it’s going to be tough with the number of games that we have.”

The Stamford boss, who has been reinforced by the return of Mitchell Rose from Rotherham, added: “I believe it was a bit flattering.

“As much as we were not at full tilt they did not have many chances - but for the amount of chances that they had they punished us each time.”

Stamford had won the home fixture 4-1 back in November but Belper emphatically got their own back.

Stamford needed to be at their best but this was probably their worst performance of the season.

They had the better of the opening minutes but Richard Adams thought he had headed Belper in front after six minutes. Fortunately, the referee had seen an infringement and disallowed the goal.

Stamford had their first chance after 12 minutes when Jordan Hempenstall shot right along the ground. Ben Saunders tried to get a touch to deflect the ball but it went straight through to Belper keeper Aaron Chapman.

A good Stamford move ended with Ben Saunders heading over a cross from Sean Wright, who was playing at right back with Jack McGovern back in midfield in place of the suspended Danny Brooks.

Belper started to put pressure on Stamford players with the ball, forcing hurried passes, and they took the lead after 23 minutes when Stamford lost the ball in midfield and Jon Froggatt played a great through ball to Shaun Tuton. He turned away from Richard Jones, then round the advancing Matt Finlay to slide the ball home.

It was 2-0 11 minutes later. Stamford couldn’t stop a strong run from Simon Harrison as he avoided two desperate lunging tackles then picked out Chris Adam in acres of space on the left of the Stamford area. He smashed the ball into the top corner giving Finlay no chance of getting near it.

With the first half coming to the end a superb save from Chapman denied Saunders hooking in a shot from a good ball by Ricky Miller. There was still time for Belper to make it 3-0 in the last minute of the half.

Stamford could not clear the ball and when it came out to Greg Wright, he put the ball across goal and into the far corner.

Once Belper had taken the lead they stepped up the pace and always looked as if they could score. In contrast Stamford simply couldn’t keep the ball.

Two minutes into the second half it should have been 4-0 but Tuton, unmarked in the box, hit his shot yards wide.

However, Froggatt didn’t waste his next chance when the ball came to him in the six yard box. His quick turn wrong footed Finlay and his shot nestled in the corner to make it 4-0.

Stamford finally started to look creative with Andy Hall, wide on the left, holding up the ball until the defender committed himself before crossing for Miller to head goalwards but Chapman stretched to turn the ball away.

Another run and cross from Hall gave Dan Marshall chance to head a consolation but his header went across goal and past the far post. That summed up the afternoon.

Stamford: Matt Finlay, Sean Wright, Adam Hewitt (Tom Batchelor, 56), Sam Saunders, Richard Jones, Jack McGovern, Andy Hall, James Ozmen, Ben Saunders, Ricky Miller, Jordan Hempenstall (Dan Marshall, 56). Subs not used: David Staff, Wayne Hatswell, John Swales.

Stamford’s next match is at home to bottom side Hucknall Town at Kettering Road tomorrow evening. Kick off will be at 7.45pm.