FOOTBALL: Daniels victory at Kidsgrove maintains 100 percent record

Have your say

Kidsgrove Athletic 1 - 3 Stamford

STAMFORD made it three from three in the league and four wins in all competitions since the start of the season this afternoon.

Jordan Smith, Paul Mayo and Gary King all scored in the Daniels' 3-1 win which keeps them top of the early season Evo-Stik League First Division South.

Smith opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour following some clever play by Andy Hall but 11 minutes later the home side were level. Stamford keeper Elliott Shilliam gave away a penalty and Andrew Kinsey slotted the spot kick home.

Kinsey's day ended early however when he was shown a straight red for grabbing Stamford's Gary King by the throat. Kidsgrove complained he had reacted to an alleged elbow from the Stamford player but the referee had no option other than to dismiss the Kidsgrove man.

The ten men of Kidsgrove then withstood Stamford until the 73rd minute when Hall's back heel set up left back Mayo to restore Stamford's lead. It was Mayo's last act of the game as he tweaked his hamstring scoring the goal and he is a doubt for Saturday's match against Romulus at Kettering Road.

Sam Mullarkey then teed up King, sliding the all across the box, for Stamford's third which sealed the win in the 82nd minute.

The Daniels, who gave a debut to new signing, right-sided Josh Russell as substitute, also had a Danny Brooks goal ruled offside and missed a penalty, but overall manager Graham Drury was delighted to have picked up another three points on the road.

He said: "You have to be happy when you go away and come away with maximum points.

"Again we should have scored more. I think the linesman was wrong about Brook's goal.

"We were very good for the first 20 minutes when we should have been more than one goal up. Then we had a spell where we lost our shape but in the second half we were dominant. It was a question of patience, and when we would get the goals."

On Kinsey's red card, he added: "It was violent conduct. The ref had no choice. King caught him but it was not malicious. The ref did his job properly."

Stamford's next match is at home to Romulus on Saturday. Kick off is at 3pm. That match is followed by an away trip to Loughborough Dynamo on Tuesday, September 4. Kick off is at 7.45pm.

Stamford: Shilliam, Maddox, Mayo, Batchelor, Jones, Brooks, King, McGovern, J Smith, Mullarkey, Hall. Subs: Cotton, Hopewell, Staff, Russell, Stainsby.

Results elswehere in the Evo-Stik League First Division South today: Belper 2 - 2 Sheffield; Halesowen Town 2 - 1 Sutton Coldfield Town; Lincoln United 2 - 4 Carlton Town; Loughborough Dynamo 0 - 2 Coalville Town; Newcastle Town 1 - 1 Leek Town; Rainworth Miners Welfare 4 - 1 Hucknall Town; Romulus 1 - 1 Market Drayton Town.