Cycling: Wheelers’ Botteley and Pollock retain titles

Have your say

Wednesday evening saw the Bourne Wheelers host their Club Championship race over 10 miles around the sporting Greatford course.

The warm conditions, coupled with an adverse north easterly breeze meant that fast times were going to be difficult to achieve for the 22 riders.

All the categories were hotly contested, but in a repeat of last year’s competition, it was reigning champions Mark Botteley (24:19) and Campbell Pollock (26:07) who took the senior and youth awards.

Current 10-mile league leader James Gelsthorpe, had to settle for the runner up position, 16 seconds behind Mark, while Keith Munton took the last place on the podium with an improved performance, posting 25:52.

The second and third places in the youth competition went to Tim James and Adam Botteley with 27:44 and 29:00 respectively.

Jemma Empson took the ladies title with 31:00, while Mark Botteley also wrapped up the veterans title, with last years winner Gerald Bone dropping down to second with 28:37 giving him a plus of 1.05mins, just under a minute behind Mark on standard. Third in the veterans category went to Cliff Hilless whose time of 27:57 equated to -0.25mins on standard.

Other times were: Antony Gough 25:58; Steve Collins 27:56; Simon Ayliff 28:38; Jason Burrill 28:45; Richard Lomas-Brown 28:59; Colin Gilbert 28:59; Nick Evans 30:26; Dan Burton 30:50; Aaron Bateman 31:07; Damion Rutterford 32:27 and Jamie Nation 34:00

Bourne’s top youth road rider Sian Botteleytook on senior opposition for the first time in the Lincoln Road Race at Ashby de Launde.

Facing a huge field of 80 riders, Sian raced superbly, never venturing far from the front of the race to eventually finish in ninth.

At the weekend, Mark Botteley took 10th in the EMEG Road Race at Witham St Hughs, racing around eight laps of a five-mile circuit,

Mark was always in the thick of the action and when he broke away with 10 miles to go it looked like the victory might be his as he entered the last two miles with a 20 second lead.

However the bunch caught Mark inside the last mile and he had to settle for a lower placing.