RUTLAND County’s Business Post Cup and Trophy was contested by a large, mixed field in testing, damp conditions which kept low scores to a minimum.
Only two players shot sub-par scores with Andy Vernon’s 38 points enough to won the Cup and Dianna Barnett’s 37 to win the Trophy. David Rippin just pipped Gerry McIntyre for second spot on countback with 36 points. Suzanne Huxley scored 32 points for second place in the Trophy.
* COUNTY’s Lady Champion Imogen Huxley reached the quarter-finals of the County Ladies Championships at Willesley Park before just being edged out but had the compensation of being selected for the Ladies Team for the County Week.
* SENIOR May Stableford results: Division 1 - 1st, Barry Cheshire, 44pts; 2nd, David Lynas, 38 c/b; 3rd , Ray Taylor, 38. Division 2 - 1st, Rip Kirby, 38 pts; 2nd Alan Garner, 37; 3rd Mike Glenister, 36.
Nearest the line on 8th fairway was Alan Garner, and nearest the hole on 13th was Richard Simmons.
Winners of the two from three with 77 points were Kevin Whittle, Dick Wray and Bill Ansell.
RUTLAND’S mixed team enjoyed a resounding 5½-2½ victory at home against Stoke Rochford on Sunday.
Results: Dave Rippin and Bridget Yardley halved; Gerry McIntyre and Mandy Collins halved; Rick Collins and Suzanne Huxley won 2 up; Paul Milsom and Margaret Rippin won 2 & 1; Cliff Knapp and Anne Milsom halved; Graham Cole and Ann Shuttleworth won 3 & 1; Alan Shuttleworth and Jackie Cole won won 2 & 1, and Phil Drury and Jenny Cobb lost 2 & 1.
* COUNTY’s B team suffered a 4½-1½ home reverse against Greetham Valley.
County were unable to recover from taking just a half from the first three games.
Phil Drury at last discovered some long-lost form, partnering Mike Powell to a 4 and 2 win. Other results: Dave Rippin and Martyn Gatehouse lost 1 down, Gerry McIntyre and Bob Ambrose lost 1 down, Pete Siciliano and Rod Goss halved, Dave Waddell and Cliff Knapp lost 4 and 3 and Packa Rissi and Kev Moxham lost 4 and 2.
* THE A team have put some points on the board in the Scratch League, shading Ullesthorpe 4½ to 3½ at home.
In the top match, club champion Ollie Freckingham bogied the last hole for a half, Micheal Pressick powered to a 7 & 6 win, Deggie Palmer won 1 up, Jordan Paylor lost 6 & 5, Russ Aust lost 1 down, Andy Vernon lost 6 & 4, John Peyser won 7 & 6, and Chris Palmer won 4 & 3.
* COUNTY Seniors lost 6-2 at home against Melton Mowbray Seniors,
Results: Stewart Picton & Graham Cole lost 4 & 2; Keith Barratt & Ron Jenkins lost 2 down; Rob Elliott & Bob Goddard won 1 up; Matt Kunen & Arthur Dethick lost 3 & 1; Terry loomes & Mike Pell lost 3 & 2; Ray Taylor & Dave Wilson won 4 & 3 John Rudin & John Phipps lost 3 & 2; Alan Garner & Ken Jakeman lost 3 & 2 .