Stamford fall just short in juniors’ cup

Have your say

Despite a valiant fightback, Stamford’sU13s lost their re-arranged NLD Cup game at Nottingham Paviors on Sunday.

Paviors ran out 24-15 winners after an exciting game in which Stamford were forced to play a highly effective defensive game.

There were some spectacular play from Will Dickinson who produced an excellent tap-tackle to save a try on the Stamford right wing and the Stamford forwards were solid in defence and also saved a try-making situation through the intervention of Harry Nightingale.

But the home side proved formidable and led at half time thanks to two tries and one conversion.

Stamford were unlucky not to not have scored a try just before the half-time whistle following sustained pressure in the Paviors half involving Charlie Thain, Ed Cox, Harry Nightingale, Toby Anderson and Tom Giddens.

The second half produced two more tries and a conversion for Paviors but Stamford began to fight back.

Harley Riches made full use of a penalty and brushed off numerous defenders before off-loading to Will Stables for Stamford’s first try.

A few moments later Ed Cox made huge advances on the left before being finally brought to ground where Riches was cleverly placed for a fine pick up and dash to score Stamford’s second try to left of the posts.

A yellow card and penalty was awarded to Stamford in Paviors half and Will Dickinson superbly timed a pass to Ed Cox who powered his way through to score his first try of the match.

Stamford won the second half battle but were unable to overcome the lead that Paviors had generated in the first half and the hosts held on to win by the nine point margin.

Stamford RFC U11s

Stamford took a mixed side with 21 players to a foggy Lincoln on Sunday where they formed two sides thanks to Lincoln making up the numbers.

In the first game, the Stamford boys quickly made their mark, with Mark Fivaz screaming down the wing after some quick passing to score in the corner.

James Everitt then pulled the ball out of a ruck, drove hard and low over the line.

Fivaz then added another try after some more quick ball.

In the second half Lincoln came out with all guns blazing and scored two quick tries but Stamford fought hard and made Lincoln drop the ball near their own line where Joe Martin pounced and took it over the line.

Stamford began the second game brightly catching Lincoln on a break from a penalty in their own half with Joe Martin running half the length of the pitch to score.

Lincoln replied quickly with a try of their own, and in the second half they scored again.

But Stamford responded well with quick passing from a scrum in Lincoln’s 22, releasing Lewis Ingamells to run, dummy and cut inside for a great try.

In the dying moments Lincoln kicked it over the boys heads and capitalised on a lucky bounce to pick up and score.

Matthew Buck, Oliver Ramsey, Joe Jennings, James Holroyd and Jordan Collis all showed grit and determination.

Stamford RFC U8s

Stamford RFC U8s shone in the fog at Lincoln.

A squad of 19 made the trip and showed superb form, winning three out of four games.

Stamford Blues played a hard fought end-to-end encounter with Lincoln A and won 12-11.

Gabriel Rudman scored a hat-trick with excellent running and Joe Garner exploited the narrowest of gaps in the Lincoln line to burst through to score.

Stamford Reds beat Lincoln B in another close game emerging 6-8 winners with Edward Richardson having a particularly excellent game.

Stamford Blues then took on Lincoln B and couldn’t quitekeep the momentum going. Despite some dogged defensive work they lost 15-11.

Stamford Reds, especially Benjamin Goold, turned on the style in their game against Lincoln A and won 14-8 to cap an excellent start to 2013 by the Stamford U8’s.