Staunton kicks Stamford ahead in Oakham derby

Action from the match between Stamford and Oakham schools
Action from the match between Stamford and Oakham schools
Have your say

Stamford School’s first XV produced another powerful display to win 9-3 against local rivals Oakham School at the weekend.

Oakham started the brighter of the two sides, attacking right from the start and enjoying the bulk of the possession in the first ten minutes.

Captain Rhuadri Smith popped the ball between the posts on his second attempt to put the visitors into the lead with a penalty.

Stamford fought their way back into the game with good decision making from Angus Pinner and Tom Williams.

Archie Toseland and Angus Collett led the charge and following a number of penalties, Kieran Staunton kicked take the score to 3-3. But despite continued pressure Stamford could not turn possession into further points before the break.

The second half was a relatively one-horse race although outstanding defence from Oakham meant that Stamford could never be comfortable.

Wave after wave of attack brought a series of penalties, and following penetrative runs from Ben Atkinson, Tom Gulland and Ethan Moss, Staunton slotted his second three pointer.

The weather increasingly hampered both sides’ ability to move the ball in attack and it was the Stamford pack that was able to dominate territory and possession as the clock wound down.

They were held up over the line on two occasions before a penalty for offside gave Staunton three more points.

Stamford School coach David Laventure said: “Oakham’s defence was tremendous.

“It was always going to be a tough game given the rivalry and the weather conditions but I am pleased that the boys stood up to the challenge.”

Skipper Tom Gulland added: “I was pleased with the result but not the performance.

“Oakham are always a good side - a tough nut to crack. We failed to convert pressure into points but it’s always good to have something to work on before the next game.”