Top racing tipster Kevan Minter, known as The Colonel, gives Mercury readers his top tips for the week ahead.
Kevan, who lives in Stamford, is trackside most days and is regularly on television.
The brilliant Frankel won rich praise at the 22nd annual Cartier Racing Awards at London’s Dorchester Hotel last Tuesday night as Lord Grimthorpe, racing manager to the colt’s owner-breeder Prince Khalid Abdulla collected the Cartier Horse Of The Year Award for the second successive year.
Frankel, who also captured this year’s Cartier Older Horse Award, has now won a total of five Cartier Awards, more than any other horse in the history of the awards, having gained the 2010 Cartier Two-Year-Old and 2011 Cartier Three-Year-Old Awards as well.
The team involved with the Sir Henry Cecil-trained Frankel, successful on all 14 of his starts, enjoyed another accolade last night when picking up the Cartier/Daily Telegraph Award of Merit.
“As I was saying last year and the year before, we have been truly blessed by this horse,” said Lord Grimthorpe. “He has touched our lives like no other and has touched many lives like no other.”
He praised everybody who has looked after and worked with the horse over the years.
Frankel is now at Banstead Manor Stud near Newmarket after ending his racing career last month and Lord Grimthorpe reported that the four-year-old Galileo colt, valued at over £100 million, is ready to begin his new career as a stallion in early 2013.
At Tokyo this Sunday Orfevre is the 6/4 favourite for the Japan Cup with good money this week for Long Run from 4/1 to 3/1 for the William Hill King George VI Chase on Boxing Day.
Nicky Henderson’s 2011 Gold Cup winner is reported to be back to his best form according to my mole in the yard and will take all the beating in the Betfair Chase at Haydock on Saturday. The 6/4 odds look a fair price for his return to the track.
Simonsig Henderson’s stable star has been a market move this week for the Racing Post Arkle Chase from 7/2 to 11/4 with Betfred. At Ascot on Friday Close Touch is strongly fancied to land the hatrick in the 2.05 Introductory Hurdle for Nicky Henderson and Barry Garaghty.
Ring me on 07850 602524 for news of my racing service.
- Police issue appeal after man goes missing from Kendrew Barracks in Cottesmore
- Woman trapped hand in drain cover searching for marble
- Doctor talks about rescue of woman with hand stuck in drain cover in Bourne
- Video: Teacher Patsy shaves her head for charity
- Tony Robinson and Time Team uncover horseshoe at Oakham Castle
- Stamford takeaway Zorba 4 loses appeal over alcohol licence
- Police Column: Burglars steal £5,000 and other items in raid
- Claire Lomas trains for challenge at Rutland Water
- Interest is high as Stamford’s Riverside Antiques Centre exhibits Princess Margaret Collection
- Video: Lincolnshire Police chief back on duty
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Stamford
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North