Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Dog owner issues a warning after her Parson Jack Russell nearly died from swallowing the squeaker from a toy



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


A dog owner has issued a warning after her pet nearly died from swallowing a squeaky toy.

Sarah Elson’s dog Bramble needed surgery to remove the blockage from her intestines after suffering for several weeks.

The Parson Jack Russell hadn’t been eating and was vomiting a lot when Sarah first took her to the vet, but she was told it was probably an infection.

Bramble fell seriously ill after swallowing the squeaker from a dog toy
Bramble fell seriously ill after swallowing the squeaker from a dog toy

It was only when Sarah sought a second opinion at Rutland Vets in Uppingham that Bramble was given an ultrasound and the problem was diagnosed.

She said: “Bramble went from being a fun and bubbly dog to not moving and being very unhappy.

“When the vet opened her up, he found the squeaker.

The squeaker
The squeaker

“At that point Bramble was on the brink of dying after not eating properly for so long.”

The squeaker was part of a cheap dog toy which are readily available to buy in supermarkets and high streets shops.

With Christmas on the horizon and an influx of novelty dog toys hitting the shelves in time for the festive season, Sarah wants other owners to be wary of what they give to their pets.

She said: “These toys are everywhere and they are so cheaply made. The vet said it’s a regular occurrence for the squeakers to get stuck and it nearly cost Bramble her life.

Sarah Elson and Bramble
Sarah Elson and Bramble

“It has caused so much upset and cost me a lot of money.”

Sarah, who lives in Oakham, paid more than £1,500 in vet bills to get Bramble back to full health.

She added: “We’ll avoid all squeaky toys from now on. It’s not worth the risk.”

The pet charity PDSA has issued advice for owners .

Bramble
Bramble

Dog toys should be non-toxic and not have parts that can be chewed off easily.

The charity says if a dog can easily pick up a toy and carry it in its mouth, it is probably too small to be used safely.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More