Home   News   Article

Agreement could be reached on Stamford green spaces

An overgrown green space in Haddon Road, Stamford. EMN-150110-131828001
An overgrown green space in Haddon Road, Stamford. EMN-150110-131828001

Councillors hope to come to an agreement with the owners of overgrown plots of land in Stamford that will ensure they are maintained.

A working party has been formed by Stamford Town Council to try to sort out the problem, which affects a number of green spaces in the town.

People living near the plots in Casterton Road, Rockingham Road, Haddon Road and others have become increasingly angry and frustrated at the lack of maintenance since they were bought at auction in summer last year from developer Jelson.

The plots were left to grow wild, and residents even found a dead rat in the long grass. South Kesteven District Council contacted the owner of the Casterton Road plot, Periathamni Selva Kumar, who eventually cleared the area. But it has been allowed to grow wild once again.

A number of residents expressed their concerns at Tuesday’s town council meeting.

On Wednesday town clerk Patricia Stuart Mogg said councillors were working on a solution.

“We know the district council has written to the landowners that they know of. Once we have got all those details we will try to see if we can get one contract together, if the owners are willing to enter into an agreement.

“We recognise that it’s very sensitive and upsetting for the residents and this is what the members of the working group are trying to do.

“We hope to get the next step in place by the next meeting.”

Chris Church, of Casterton Road, said the district council should be doing more to help the town council resolve the situation.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More