Argument ended in Market Overton man’s tragic death

Max Wilson
Max Wilson
Share this article
Have your say

A FATHER plunged a kitchen knife into his heart during an argument with his girlfriend, an inquest heard.

Motorcycle training instructor Max Wilson, 49, of Thistleton Road, Market Overton, died on August 13, 2010, from a stab wound to the chest.

An inquest into his death at Loughborough Coroner’s Office on Wednesday heard Mr Wilson had separated from his wife in 2009 and had started a relationship with Melanie Knight.

Detective inspector Kevin Barrs, who led the investigation into his death, told the inquest that on the evening of August 12, 2010, Mr Wilson had discussed plans for his 50th birthday with his family. Mr Wilson wanted Mrs Knight to be at the party but some members of his family did not.

Det Insp Barrs said the following day Mr Wilson went to visit Mrs Knight to talk about the birthday plans. The pair argued and continued the row to the Noel Arms pub in Langham, where Mrs Knight worked.

Later that day Mrs Knight was driven to Mr Wilson’s house by her friend David Hicks. The pair continued their argument and Mr Wilson told Mrs Knight their relationship had to end.

Det Insp Barrs read from a police interview with Mrs Knight taken after the incident.

Mrs Knight said the argument continued and she picked up a 15cm kitchen knife from the draining board and said: “If things are that bad then do it.”

Mr Wilson then snatched the knife, took off his t-shirt and plunged it into his chest. He was pronounced dead at Peterborough District Hospital later that day.

The inquest heard that in her interviews, Mrs Knight had said: “I remember shouting that I had given up a lot for him. I had left my husband.

“That’s when I picked up the knife. He snatched it. I didn’t expect him to do that. It was just a fleeting comment.

“He just said: ‘See, I do love you,’ and fell on the sofa.”

Both Mrs Knight and Mr Hicks were arrested on suspicion of Mr Wilson’s murder, but were later released without charge. Both were called as witnesses at the inquest but only spoke to confirm their police interviews, read by Det Insp Barrs, were correct.

The inquest also heard from police constables Mark Barlow and Martin Thomas, who attended Mr Wilson’s house after he stabbed himself, and home office pathologist Dr Amanda Jeffery, who carried out the post-mortem.

Assistant deputy coroner Richard Chapman returned an open verdict into Mr Wilson’s death. He said: “It is entirely clear that this happened in the middle of a time of great upset.

“There was a huge amount of argument between Mr Wilson and Mrs Knight and he got very upset by it. This was brought about to some extent by his concern about his relationship with his family.

“He decided his relationship with Melanie had to be ended. I think it is very clear that I cannot come to the conclusion that he understood that in doing this he was going to kill himself. It was very much in the white heat of the moment.”