Blue plaque for one of Stamford's prominent sons
A new landmark has been unveiled on Stamfordâs streets, a blue plaque to commemorate trailblazing artist and former son of the town â Nelson Ethelred Dawson.
The plaque has been erected on 7 St. Maryâs Street to mark the birthplace of Dawson, a figure of significant importance in the Arts and Crafts movement, both locally and nationally.
Dawson has very strong connections with Stamford and his work can still be seen in the town; the Regalia cabinet complete with the town crest is still in the Mayorâs parlour, and there are many of his artefacts in the Stamford Museum collection.â
One of eight children, Dawson attended Stamford School for two years before leaving school and studying architecture at the office of Stamford architect Joseph B Corby, at 69 Scotgate, before leaving the town to pursue a career as an artist.
According to the Stamford Mercury from July 20, 1934, in the 1880s and early 1890s Dawson âwas more of a sea painter than anything else, was never without a boat, mixed with fishermen and sailors, picked up a knowledge of seamanship and worked up and down the East coastâ.
In 1891 Dawson moved back to London and began concentrating more on metalwork. He studied his craft under Alfred Fisher, and passed on his skills to his wife Edith â working as a team they developed their own style, with Dawson doing the designing and manufacturing and his wife the enamelling.
The couple received widespread acclaim and their art was exhibited in London and abroad. Well-known pieces include the bronze organ grille in Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street and the trowel and mallet used by Queen Victoria in her last public appearance when she laid the foundation stone of the V&A museum.