Bourne team completes three peaks challenge

Have your say

A GROUP of men have climbed three peaks in England, Wales and Scotland in 24 hours - with just one minute to spare.

Auctioneer Richard Lambie, 28, of Main Road, Dyke, organised the tough challenge which he and seven others began on June 17, in aid of two cancer charities.

He said the epic feat was hard going - especially with bad weather conditions including rain and fog.

Richard said: “The lack of sleep also drained energy levels and made the climbing much harder.

“But the overall experience was great and we’re so glad we did it. We had a good group of lads and had a laugh during the challenge too.”

Their efforts have helped to raise about £1,200 for Leukaemia and Lymphonia Research and £1,800 for Macmillan Cancer Support - with more money still being collected.

Richard had not expected them to raise as much and said: “We are all very pleased with the amount raised. We originally thought we would raise about £1,000 for each charity.”

The team included - Richard with Ryan King, 29, of Southfields, Bourne; Aaron McNamee, 29, also of Southfields, Bourne; Derek Lees, 29, of Stroud Close, Bourne; Sean Knight, 29, of Austerby Road, Bourne; Jamie Blackbourne, 29, of Burghley Street, Bourne; Daniel Scotney, 28, of Nottingham; and Mark Atkinson, 25, from London.

Richard and Jamie came up with the idea to climb the three peaks, then the group picked charities that were important to them to raise funds for.

They chose Macmillan Cancer Support because the charity supported Richard’s family after his father William Lambie died of cancer three and half years ago aged 61. Then they decided upon Leukaemia and Lymphonia Research as Derek Lees’ step-daughter and Mark Atkinson’s niece Laura Atkinson who is seven has battled with leukaemia for the past two years. She is now in remission.

The men started their trek at Ben Nevis in Scotland, then went onto Scafell Pike in England, and then they finished with Snowdon in Wales.

Richard said the trip had its highs and lows, and added: “After climbing the three mountains with hardly any sleep for 36 hours we ran for the finish line.

“Some were quicker than others due to injury and fatigue, but the last man crossed the line with one minute to go.”

Richard thanked everyone who has supported and sponsored the team - including the drivers during the challenge - Gary Crowson and Fred King.