Bourne Cicle Festival is still on track for August Bank Holiday weekend
Changes are being made to the route of the Bourne Cicle Festival to try and reduce disruption on the roads.
However, Steve Bowyer, chief executive of InvestSK, says the event is still set to go ahead on the weekend of August 31 to September 1.
The issue was raised at last Thursday’s meeting of the culture and visitor economy overview and scrutiny committee of South Kesteven District Council.
Vice chairman Coun Bob Adams (Con - Isaac Newton) told the meeting there remains ‘a few issues’ from rural villages about the cycling race disrupting traffic, particularly farmers at harvest time.
“Trying to close the A15 will be very difficult. It’s the road closures and how it impacts on the farmers. We will be in the harvest season.”
Mr Bowyer said meetings have been held with the police, Lincolnshire County council and other groups to try and resolve such concerns. They were previously raised to the committee in January.
Mr Bowyer said: “There are still technical details to be resolved. the event is still on track. It should still go ahead. There have been amendments to the route. Concerns are being resolved through transport management.”
He also said the National Farmers Union was also consulted and it approved the event, with one member even riding in it.
A ‘rolling programme’ of road closures would operate, to help reduce the time roads were closed and messages would be given out on the day. One solution was to use radio to alert affected farmers.
Both Coun Adams and committee chair Linda Wooton (Con - Grantham Harrowby) called for a report from InvestSK, which is organising the festival, to produce a report on the event.
The Bourne Cicle Festival aims to increase the profile of Bourne and attract visitors.
It features a 119km women’s route running west of Bourne on August 31 and a 175km route passing north, south and west of Bourne the next day.
More by this authorDarren Greenwood