Community steps in after hob explodes on Christmas Day

Paul Scholes with his broken hob EMN-151230-101916001
Paul Scholes with his broken hob EMN-151230-101916001
Have your say

A family has thanked a guide group and their community who stepped in to help when their hob exploded while cooking Christmas dinner.

Paul Scholes, 32, was busily preparing Christmas dinner at his home in Kesteven Road, Stamford, when heard a “massive bang”.

Paul Scholes with his broken hob EMN-151230-101927001

Paul Scholes with his broken hob EMN-151230-101927001

Paul and wife Andrea thought a shelf had fallen down but were shocked to find their hob had shattered, spraying shards of glass around the kitchen.

Thankfully the couple weren’t injured and their children Rosie, one, and Toby, three, were still asleep. But it left them worrying how to cook Christmas dinner for 10 guests including Paul’s parents Rob and Joy Scholes and Andrea’s parents Michael and Linda Hyam.

Quick-thinking Paul, who has been a scout leader for more than 10 years, contacted divisional commissioner for the Welland Division of girlguiding Karen Armstrong, who was still asleep but who kindly agreed to let him borrow the camping stove from the guide hut in Conduit Road.

Paul then cooked the vegetables outside in the garden, rustling up a meal described as “amazing” by Andrea - and served on time.

Paul said: “When we heard this huge bang, we just laughed but I just thought not today, of all days!

“I was considering setting up our trailer tent to cook in but it was never an option not to have Christmas dinner.”

Paul was following a recipe by celebrity chef Phil Vickery which calls for the turkey to be put on the hob and brought to the boil before being cooked in the oven, and the couple believe it was the weight of the 7kg turkey which caused the hob to smash.

After posting about the turn of events on Facebook, the couple were also inundated with offers from friends to use their kitchen or come round for dinner but Paul was determined to cook Christmas dinner, particularly as it was daughter Rosie’s first.

Paul added: “I can’t believe how many offers we got on Facebook - it was unbelievable really. I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped.”