Home   News   Article

Concerns raised over 110 homes plan for Bourne




Bourne residents laid out their concerns over a proposed 110-home development in the town.

Developer Longhurst Group in association with Alysia Caring wants to build the homes for rent or purchase along with an 80-bed care home, all on vacant land to the north-west of the town centre, at the end of Beaufort Drive.

A planning application has yet to be submitted to South Kesteven District Council for the development which has been named St Peter’s Meadow.

But residents who attended the consultation on Thursday last week at the Corn Exchange, had concerns about the amount of traffic the development would cause as well as environmental concerns.

Mary and Michael Stevenson, who have lived in Bourne for 47 years, said they were concerned about the amount of traffic the proposed development could generate.

“I’m worried about the traffic and the infrastructure,” said Mary.

“These houses are going to add lots more traffic.

“You have got 100-plus homes with an average of two cars so we’ve got to improve the roads.”

Michael added: “We were told by the council some years there would be no more development in Bourne until Elsea Park had been completed but I’m not sure the traffic would be able to cope with this as well.”

Bourne town and district councillor Helen Powell (Ind), had already outlined her concerns surrounding the development that included fears about the environmental impact of the development, an important fire break could be lost between Bourne Wood and the current homes on Beaufort Drive along with concerns about the whole development being affordable and building materials and vehicles using the streets to access the site.

But not everyone was against the development.

Steven, from Bourne, said: “I don’t have any issue with the homes.

“It’s aimed at first-time buyers and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

“There needs to be more starter homes in the area.

“I think it’s good although I do see why people think it’s an issue.”

Coun Nick Neilson (Con), cabinet member for housing at South Kesteven District Council, said: “This development will contribute to providing more social and affordable housing in in the district.

“Many of these homes will be available at 80 per cent of the local market
rent.”

Visit www.stpetersmeadow.co.uk to find out more about the plans.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More