Home   News   Article

Coronavirus: Stamford Mid-Lent Fair cancelled




Stamford Mid-Lent Fair has been cancelled because of fears over the spread of coronavirus.

The announcement was made by South Kesteven District Council today (Monday, March 16) after talks with Showmen’s Guild of Great Britain.

Last week the guild had said it would be following the advice of the Government, and up until that point it had been 'business as usual'.

Stamford Mid-Lent Fair
Stamford Mid-Lent Fair

The decision to cancel the popular annual fair was taken jointly by South Kesteven District Council and the Showmen’s Guild.

RELATED: Town GP answers your Coronavirus questions

District council leader Coun Kelham Cooke said: “South Kesteven District Council and the Showmen’s Guild have jointly taken the decision to cancel this year’s Mid-Lent fairs in both Stamford and Grantham as the safety of all our residents must come first.”

Notices in Broad Street announcing the coming of Stamford Mid-Lent Fair
Notices in Broad Street announcing the coming of Stamford Mid-Lent Fair

The fair was due in Stamford from Monday March 23 to Saturday March 28, and Grantham from Sunday March 29.

Stamford has been hosting an annual fair since medieval times and it is even mentioned in Shakespeare's Henry IV.

The Mid-Lent fair is the largest street fair in Lincolnshire and one of the largest in the country.

Get the latest Coronavirus news here.


More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More