Coronavirus: events cancelled in Stamford, Rutland, Bourne and the Deepings
Planned events across the area have been cancelled or postponed due to concerns about the spread of coronavirus. Scroll to see full list.
The wave of announcements comes as Transport Secretary Grant Shapps confirmed people over 70 need to prepare to 'self-isolate'.
One of the events to be cancelled is the Stamford Choral Society spring concert, which member Adrian Gombault described as appearing to be 'somewhat jinxed' this year.
Its was due to take place on Saturday, March 28 but has had to be cancelled. The choir only just overcome one issue with choosing to put on Beethoven's Mass in C. With it being the 250th anniversary of Beethoven's birth, so many choral societies were putting on similar concerts the group couldn't get hold of copies of the score for its members to learn.
Adrian said: "It is a huge disappointment that the concert has had to be cancelled at such a late stage, especially as it follows so closely on the choir's highly successful performance of Handel's "Messiah" to a packed audience in December. It is hoped that it may just be a case of "Roll over, Beethoven" until sometime later in the year."
Meanwhile, anyone who has purchased a ticket for the concert can apply for a full refund of their ticket price, either from Stamford Arts Centre or direct from the choir itself.
Groups that have put their activities on hold and events that have been cancelled or postponed include:
- Stamford Indoor Bowls Club
- Stamford Striders' sessions for juniors and adults (including the beginners' course)
- Ryhall Playgroup
- St George's Church drop-in cafe, Friday Connect in Stamford those wishing to stay in touch by phone can call 01780 481800to pass on their contact details
- Stamford Shakespeare Company's 2020 season at Tolethorpe is postponed to 2021
- Grand Jumble Sale in Bulwick Village Centre on Saturday, March 21
- NSPCC Table Top Sale at Bourne Corn Exchange on Sunday, March 22
- Easter Prize bingo in Castle Bytham Village Hall on Saturday, March 21
- Stamford Rugby Festival at Hambleton Road on Sunday, March 22
- Thurlby Methodist Church open day on Saturday, March 28
- Oddfellows Afternoon Tea at Waterside Garden Centre, Baston on Wednesday, April 1
- Soup lunches at St Michael’s Church, Langtoft and the Saturday Sale on Saturday, April 4
- Craft Club at Oddfellows Hall, Church Street, Market Deeping on Wednesday, April 8
- Rutland Jigsaw Festival on Saturday, April 11
- Rotary Club of Bourne Run in the Woods at Bourne Woods on April 19 is postponed to September 20
- Surprise Bingo at Oddfellows Hall, Church Street, Market Deeping on Tuesday, April 28
- Rutland County Show in Oakham on Sunday, May 31
Have you had to cancel or postpone an event in Stamford, Rutland, Bourne, the Deepings, Oundle or surrounding villages and need to get the message out there? Are you an organisation stopping or reducing services because of coronavirus? Email details to email@example.com or call 01780 758955.
More by this authorSuzanne Moon