Coronavirus: Rutland Cakeaway and other business across Stamford, Rutland, Bourne and the Deepings offer community help to anyone self-isolating
A homemade cake, pudding and milkshake takeaway is offering community support to vulnerable people affected by coronavirus.
The Rutland Cakeaway, owned by Mark Daniels and Steph Parnwell, 28, will go shopping for people who are self-isolating or don’t want to risk getting ill.
Mark, 29, who will be carrying out the service, said: “The community round here have been great to us so it’s good to give something back and the response from people wanting to help us do this has been amazing.
“It just shows we can bind together when we need too.
“We just saw on the news some people are struggling to get the food they need with the panic buying and bulk buying.
“If someone has to rely on weekly payments, such as a pension or benefits and do a weekly shop, then by the time they are getting to the shops, there’s nothing for them.
“There are also people who won’t want to risk going out and getting ill.
“Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are quieter for us so we can use a lot of our time to help others where we can.”
Mark added he was also happy to help with everyday tasks such as laundry or walking dogs.
Rutland Cakeaway was set up by Mark and Steph last year and is based in Edith Weston.
They deliver their mouth-watering sweet treats on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and have just started delivering on a Wednesday.
Mark, who has lived in Oakham since he was 10, has been a chef at venues such as The Grainstore and Barnsdale Lodge while Steph is a former debt counsellor.
If you would like to use their service, please call 01572 729322.
Other business that are offering community support to people self-isolating include:
- The Rutland Guitar School is offering to go shopping for people.
- Kavanagh’s Tea Room in Oakham is offering anyone who is self-isolating a delivery service of hot meals, soups, breads and cakes.
- Northfield Farm Shop and Butchery in Cold Overton is offering free deliveries with orders over £40 to anywhere within 10 miles of Cold Overton.
- Don’t Settle Petal florists in Oakham is offering free delivery within Rutland on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Altered Images in Oakham is offering a postal service on a selection of yarns.
- Welland Vale Garden Inspirations in Uppingham is offering free delivery within a 25-mile radius.
- Rutland Travel in Uppingham is available for travel advice and any concerns.
- Edith Weston Village Shop and Post Office are in the process of setting up a volunteer group to support the community an will be delivering supplies customers and have a group of volunteers who are in place to collect prescriptions from the pharmacies.
- The Lean Pantry Co. in Stamford is offering free delivery delivery service on a limited menu.
- The Six Bells pub in Witham-on-the-Hill is offering to deliver fish and chips along with pizza.
Is your business offering help for anyone self-isolating?
If so, the please get in touch by e-mailing email@example.com
More by this authorMatthew Brown