Fire crews tackle blaze in van owned by Corby Glen on-call firefighter
Fire crews tackled a blaze that started in the back of a van belonging to one of their on-call firefighter colleagues in Corby Glen this morning.
The incident, attended by Corby Glen firefighters at 11.48am, took place in Coronation Road.
Caused by an electrical fault, the fire dealt severe damage to the interior rear cab.
The fire officers extinguished the blaze using one hose reel jet.
Van owner John Ashby, who runs his own carpentry business and is an-call firefighter at the Corby Glen station, said: "We did more damage trying to gain access into the rear [of the van] as we could not get the doors open.
"However, it’s a good example of how important it is to keep crew levels up at village stations, as if we were off the run it would have been another 10 or 15 minutes for Grantham or Bourne to get there and that could have then been a total loss on the van and possibly the house."