Cause of Peakirk crash which killed a Bourne man remains a mystery

Have your say

THE cause of a crash which killed a man when his car hit a tree will never be known, a coroner has ruled.

Michael Clark, 32, of Essex Way, Bourne, was killed when his black Ford Mondeo left Deeping Road, near Peakirk, and ploughed into a tree during the early hours of August 1.

At Mr Clark’s inquest, held at Peterborough Town Hall on Monday, it was revealed that there was no conclusive evidence to explain why he lost control of his car prior to the collision.

Coroner Gordon Ryall recorded a verdict of accidental death and said: “Why this happened we shall never know for certain.”

PC Francis Crawford, who investigated the incident, told the inquest that Mr Clark’s car had veered off the road after crossing a humpback bridge.

He said: “The car crossed the bridge and veered to the nearside of the road and mounted a kerb.

“Mr Clark steered to his right to try and return to the road. However, the car crossed the centre of the road, leaving the road and the off-side of the car slid against a post.

“The vehicle carried on going straight before colliding with a tree, causing substantial impact to the car’s front.

“There were no witnesses to the collision, therefore it’s a matter of speculation over what caused him to lose control.”

Mr Clark’s car was discovered by a passing motorist at around 4am on August 1.

Police and an ambulance were rushed to the area but Mr Clark was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem carried out by Dr Dalivor Stratle at Peterborough City Hospital found that Mr Clark died due to multiple internal injuries.

It also found that Mr Clark was not intoxicated at the time of the accident and had not been suffering from any illnesses.

The inquest also heard that Mr Clark was familiar with the 60mph-limit road, regularly travelling along it to get to work.

Pc Crawford added that Mr Clark’s speed at the time of the accident was not known but there were no defects with his car and weather conditions on the day had been favourable.

However, he said it was not known why Mr Clark had been driving late at night.

Pc Crawford added: “I’ve considered whether the collision involved another car or whether an animal came out into the road as the area nearby is wooded.

“But had either of these explanations been the case then you would expect to find substantial debris at the accident scene.

“In this accident, there was no debris on the road.”