Drink driver caught at McDonald’s drive-thru in Bourne

Crime and court news.
Crime and court news.
Share this article
Have your say

A farmer was caught drink driving when a McDonald’s employee who took his order at Bourne’s drive-thru, smelled alcohol on his breath and reported him to a police officer who happened to be in the car park at the time.

Timothy Bradley, of Scoth Farm Cottages, Scoth Farm Road, Edenham, pleaded guilty to driving while he had 105 microgrammes of alcohol in his breath. The legal limit is 35.

Prosecutor Jim Clare explained to Grantham Magistrates’ Court on Monday how Bradley was caught on March 5 in his Range Rover at the Bourne McDonald’s.

While ordering his drive-thru meal he came to the attention of the member of staff, due to the smell of alcohol.

On reporting it to the officer in the nearby police car, a radio call was made and Bradley’s vehicle was followed. He was stopped on the A151, where he failed a roadside breath test.

Representing Bradley, Simon Cobb said that his client had been for a night out, driving his car with the intention of leaving it and staying with a friend. However, he ended up being unable to get in contact with this friend, and then made the ‘foolish decision’ to drive home, picking up food on the way.

Mr Cobb added that Bradley worked on his family farm, and losing his licence would affect his ability to work across two sites.

Grantham magistrates fined Bradley £450 for this offence, and due to the high reading banned him from driving for two years.

He must also pay £85 in costs, and a £45 victim surcharge.

l Joanna Jedruszak, 39, of Silversone Road, Bourne, admitted drink driving on March 12 in Tilia Way.

Prosecuting, Jim Clare said Jedruszak was stopped by police in the early hours of the morning and gave a positive breath test at the roadside. She was taken to Grantham police station where a reading of 67 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath was taken. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes of 

Jedruszak, who was not represented, told the court she did not understand how the reading came to be so high. She said she was on a diet and had been feeling a little bit ill and had a temperature at the time.

The magistrates disqualified Jedruszak from driving for 18 months. She was fined £120 and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £20.