Drug addict broke into firm three times to repay debt to his supplier

Have your say

A drug addict was persuaded to carry out a burglary at a 
company to repay his debts to his suppliers, a court has heard.

It was third time unlucky for Dean Mohammed, 22, who tried to enter the premises of Associated Timber Services in Colsterworth on November 7, 2011. However, he set off the alarm and ran away.

Mohammed, of Mussons Close, Corby Glen, admitted two counts of burglary and one of attempted burglary at Grantham Magistrates’ Court.

Jim Clare, prosecuting, said that on the first occasion that between September 30 and October 3, 2011, the duty manager at Associated Timber Services locked the front gates as the last person out of the building. When he returned on the Monday he found the office block had been broken into and every unlocked room had been entered and searched. Four computers 
and landline and mobile phones had been stolen.

Later that month, three computers and phones were stolen. Again a hole was cut in the fence and a window smashed in the canteen.

On November 7, 2011, a third attempt to burgle the premises failed when a newly fitted alarm was triggered.

Mr Clare said the defendant was caught when another man went into a bank to pay in a cheque in the name of the company director whose cheque book had gone missing. When arrested, he said Mohammed had asked him to cash the cheque.

In a statement, the company director said goods worth more than £8,400 were stolen on the first occasion and more than £6,300 worth was taken in the second burglary. He said the company had lost more money in custom.

He added: “I do feel let down by the police – they should have done a lot more sooner.”

Mr Clare told the court that Mohammend had said he was in a lot of debt, to the tune of about £1,000. He was addicted to mephedrone and his suppliers suggested he burgle Associated Timber Services, a site he knew because his family owned a company nearby.

He carried out the burglary with another man and used money he got from the proceeds to pay for drugs and petrol, and to pay off his debt.

Bill Fraser, defending, said the other man involved had “got off scot free”.

He said Mohammed had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, was in work and had not committed any offences since.

Mohammed was given a three 12-week jail sentences to run concurrently forthe offences, suspended for 12 months. An order was made for him to undergo 12 months’ supervision and undertake 150 hours of unpaid work. He was told to pay costs of £85.