THE FAMILY of murder victim Alan Wood have made an emotional plea for help as they mark the anniversary of his death.
It has been two years since the 50-year-old’s body was discovered bound and tortured at his home in Lound and police are still hunting his killer.
An inquest into his death was held at Stamford Town Hall on Tuesday where his family and the police made a fresh appeal for information.
Mr Wood’s former wife Joanne said: “For Alan’s mother every day is a living nightmare and the second anniversary of his death has just made it worse.
“We can’t believe that two years have gone by and no one has come forward to help us. Those who know something need to tell us and I hope to God they are living the nightmare that this family is living.
“The only thing that will give us any closure is someone being brought to justice.”
Mr Wood was last seen alive on Wednesday October 21, 2009, at about 6.30pm when he visited the Willoughby Arms in Little Bytham. His body was found three days later.
He had been bound at the wrists and stabbed in the eye. His throat had been cut and officers believe after he had been killed, the attackers attempted to decapitate him.
Mr Wood’s bank cards were missing and used repeatedly in Bourne and Stamford between Thursday October 22 and Sunday October 25 when a few hundred pounds was withdrawn.
Det Supt Stuart Morrison is leading the murder investigation.
He said: “Someone out there knows something and there is a £60,000 reward on offer if knowing what happened to a man like Alan is not enough of an incentive to come forward.
“Our determination isn’t diminished and we have a dedicated team of 12 officers who are still working on the case.”
Officers have interviewed 16,169 people and logged details from 16,700 phones. They have also reviewed 3,250 pieces of evidence and searched DNA databases in 50 countries.
They have a DNA profile from the murder scene, CCTV footage of someone using Mr Wood’s bank cards and an e-fit of the suspect.
Det Supt Morrison said: “The anniversary of Alan’s death is undoubtedly a difficult time for his family. We are still in regular contact with them and they are aware that we are still working hard to bring his killers to justice.”
At Tuesday’s inquest coroner Gordon Ryall said Mr Wood died of incised neck wounds and recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.
He said: “It is quite clear Alan Wood was unlawfully killed. He was the victim of a horrendous and vicious attack. I convey my sympathies to all of Alan’s family who have had to face not only the horrendous circumstances of his death but the uncertainty hanging over them because no one has yet been charged.
“I hope eventually the police will be able to identify those responsible for his death.”
Anyone with information should call 0300 111 0300 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.