Inquest into death of Stamford School pupil Harry Drain who died after being hit by train

Harry Drain
Harry Drain
Have your say

A bright school pupil died when he was hit by a freight train while he was walking by a railway line, an inquest has heard.

The inquest into the death of 18-year-old Harry Drain, of Mill Lane, Tinwell, was held at Kettering Magistrates Court today (Thursday).

The court heard that Harry, a pupil at Stamford School, died when he was hit by a freight train, near Tinwell crossing at Easton-on-the-Hill, on July 17 last year.

In a statement read out to the court, train driver Angela Tinkler said she had been driving for DB Schenker Rail for 12 years.

She said after passing Ketton, the track bears around to the left and as she did so, she could see “something white”.

Mrs Tinkler said: “As I focused, I noticed it was a young male walking.”

She sounded the high and low tone and as she got closer, she could see the male was wearing a white t-shirt and blue shorts.

Mrs Tinkler said: “He had not acknowledged my warning. He was still in a position of safety.”

When the train was a quarter of mile away from him, Mrs Tinkler sounded the high tone before pushing the emergency plunger.

She said: “At this point all I could do was watch and wait.”

Mrs Tinkler waited for the train to stop before going down the line, where she first found a trainer and then Harry’s body.

A statement was read out from Dr Leon Roberts, a medic with East Midlands Immediate Care Service, in which he said he got to Stamford Railway Station at 12.04pm. He was told by British Transport Police to go to the Tinwell crossing in West Street, Easton-on-the-Hill, where the train driver was looking for a casualty.

Dr Roberts arrived there and walked the length of the train in one direction before going down the other side where he found the driver.

He said: “I could see the casualty was in the bushes down the bank.”

The post-mortem examination found the cause of death was severe injuries.

A statement read out from Harry’s mother Barbara Drain said she last saw her son on the morning of 
July 17.

She said Harry and his brother were discussing what they were going to have for lunch when Harry returned from a run.

She said Harry, who had two brothers, James and George, was “very happy” at Stamford School and achieved A and A* grades in his GCSEs. He took his A-level exams a month before he died and his family received his results in August. Harry achieved an A*, A and B.

Mrs Drain said Harry enjoyed the gym, rugby, music and had a happy relationship with his girlfriend.

She added: “The family are all devastated by his death.”

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Anne Pember said it was believed Harry was wearing earphones and listening to music when he died.

Mrs Pember said: “It’s an absolute tragedy.”